With the days of sunny weather, more and more inhabitants of Riga go for walks and sports in public places. Taking into account the declared emergency situation, the administration of the Riga City Council especially calls for observance of social distance and, if possible, for staying at home for the safety of oneself and the people around us.
Residents are asked not to use popular public places for walks and sports activities, where a large number of people could stay together, including. Lucavsala, Mežaparks, parks in the centre of Riga, etc., as well as not to visit public children’s playgrounds, which are closed, taking into account that shared facilities can promote the spread of the virus. Please carefully assess the necessity to use public transport, minimize the time to be at points of sale, prepare a shopping list in advance and observe a distance of two meters.
We also urge you to follow the precautions recommended by the World Health Organization and to include frequent hand washing, avoiding contact with eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, regular ventilation of the premises, washing and disinfection of frequently used surfaces.
“I urge the people of Riga to be very responsible towards the bans, to reduce social contact and to adapt daily habits to this emergency situation. Although avoiding public places and re-planning your daily routine is inconvenient, it is crucial in reducing the spread of the virus. At present, all the responsible authorities are working in a state of emergency, regularly monitoring the situation and reacting quickly, but we will only be able to achieve positive results and stop the spread of the virus together with the inhabitants of Riga. I would like to express my deepest gratitude to those who continue to work selflessly from day to day and take care of the society, as well as to those who responsibly observe all precautionary measures,” says Edvīns Balševics, head of the Riga City Council acting Administration.
We remind you that with the declaration of a state of emergency in the country, the Riga City Council has made several decisions regarding the population and the work of the municipality to reduce the spread of the Covid-19 virus:
- In almost all structures, institutions and companies of Riga municipality, the reception of visitors in person has been stopped;
- Both organized events and unorganized gatherings are prohibited.
- In public transport, getting on and off in trolleybuses and buses is organized only through the middle and back doors. The driver are not selling the tickets, passengers are asked to observe distance, taking the seats, and changes in transport timetables have been made
- Restricted patient visits to health facilities
- Cultural events organized by Riga Municipality have been cancelled, including concerts, festivals and classes of amateur art groups co-financed by Riga City Council
- Closed stadiums and sports fields near educational institutions
Inhabitants of Riga have the possibility to ask questions by calling the toll-free information line 80000800.
Questions about Covid-19, prevention, self-isolation and quarantine can be asked to the Centre for Disease Control – tel. 67387661. To get the information about analysis of patients with mild symptoms, call the Emergency Medical Service on 8303. If the symptoms are severe, call 113.
Photo: Nora Krevneva-Baibakova/ Riga.lv